Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Through the Trees

Amtrak Cascades train no. 509 passing through Oregon City.

I've been intrigued with this location, a five-minute walk from my apartment, since moving to Oregon City four and a half months ago. The pedestrian stairs that descend the bluff next to the municipal elevator make a 90-degree turn in front of a stream that stair-steps its way down the hill through an urban water feature. The tracks appear briefly through the trees, with the streets and buildings of downtown beyond. Maybe it's the result of a memorable illustration in The Polar Express (the one with the wolves), but I've always been captivated by the image of lighted train windows passing through barren trees. I don't think I've quite found the best composition at this location yet, so I'll keep trying.

No comments: